Pet Dental Care From Cherry Knolls Veterinary Clinic
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, dental health is essential to your pet's overall health. Many people don't understand the importance of pet dental care. Like humans, pets can get dental diseases like periodontal disease and gum disease. At Cherry Knolls Veterinary Clinic in Centennial, we offer pet dental services to make sure that your pet gets proper dental care.
What Are the Benefits of Proper Pet Dental Care?
There are several ways that your pet can benefit from healthy, clean teeth and gums.
- Prevent Bad Breath: There is nothing worse than snuggling with your pet and smelling its bad breath. Proper dental care can prevent bad breath, making snuggle time a happy time.
- Prevent Tooth Loss: If you do not properly care your pet's teeth, your pet may lose teeth. It is normal for your pet to lose its baby teeth, however, if your pet loses its adult teeth due to poor dental care, it can be painful.
- Prevent Periodontal Disease: When plaque builds up on your pet's teeth, it can result in periodontal disease. This can cause tooth loss, pain, and difficulty chewing.
- Prevent Organ Damage: In serious cases, dental disease can cause damage your pet's organs. If the bacteria in your pet’s mouth travel into the bloodstream, it can infect its heart. This can result in a potentially fatal heart condition.
How to Keep Your Pet's Teeth and Gums Healthy
There are a few ways to ensure your pet's oral health. Some methods can be performed at home, while others would require a visit to the veterinarian. The home care methods include:
- Dental sticks: Dental sticks are great for dogs. When your dog chews on the breath freshening stick, it will scrape the tartar from his or her teeth.
- Tongue cleaner: Pet tongue cleaners are made with all natural enzymes and anti-plaque properties. The surface of the cleaner tastes great, which will encourage your pet to lick it. While your pet licks the cleaner, it cleans the tongue and prevents plaque and tartar buildup.
- Pet toothpaste: If your pet will allow you to, brushing his teeth is the best way to keep them clean and healthy. You can buy pet toothpaste that will taste great to your pet. You can use a toothbrush that is designed for pets.
- Dental wipes: If your pet doesn't allow you to brush its teeth, pet dental wipes are the second best thing. With a few quick swipes with the wipe, you can clean the plaque and tartar while making the breath smell minty fresh.
- Loofah dental toy: This dental loofah is designed to be shredded. As it shreds, it will floss his teeth and clean the gums.
While home remedies are very effective in keeping your pet's teeth clean, you should also schedule regular appointments with our veterinarians at Cherry Knolls Veterinary Clinic in Centennial for regular teeth cleanings. Our veterinarians will ensure that your pet’s gums and teeth are healthy. Call our veterinary clinic at 303-779-1170.